Mitt Romney staged an event outside of a Fannie Mae-foreclosed home so he could embarrass Newt Gingrich over Newt's ties to Freddie Mac. Unfortunately, Mitt spoke, and that means he ended up embarrassing himself. Mitt said “The banks aren’t bad people. They’re just overwhelmed right now.” The poor banks! So little time, and so many dreams to crush! This foreclosure crisis has been hell for the banks— they’re totally exhausted from the robo-signing alone. And “The banks aren’t bad people?” Mitt! Get it through your head! The banks aren’t people at all!
Later, Mitt doubled down on the gaffe, telling distressed homeowners “The banks are scared to death, of course.” Yeah, right now they’re scared to death that you’re going to keep on talking. And he did! Mitt told foreclosure victims that the banks “are feeling the same thing that you’re feeling.” Really? They’re feeling ripped-off by heartless bankers? Mitt, one more time—banks can’t feel anything. If they did, then they would feel shame and remorse, and they would cease being banks. Florida right now is actually the perfect time and place to go after Newt Gingrich over Freddie Mac. But Mitt Romney is absolutely the worst person to try and do it... outside of Freddie Mac himself, right, Mitt?
Now Mitt is saying that he actually pays a tax rate of 40 to 50 percent. Keep picking at the scab, Mitt—that’ll make it heal faster.
Mitt claims that capital gains are taxed at a 35 percent rate when the company earns them, and then at 15 percent when the profits are distributed as dividends, so he’s really paying a total of 50 percent. Wow. No wonder Newt Gingrich wants to give him a giant tax break. Mitt is essentially saying that companies would give shareholders a lot more if they didn’t have to pay taxes. I have news for you, Mitt—a lot of the biggest companies don’t pay any taxes at all. Mitt, if you’re going to try and tell us that Bain was actually paying a corporate tax rate of 35 percent, then you’re going to have to release Bain’s tax returns. And I really don’t think you want to do that.
I guess Arizona Governor Jan Brewer gave President Obama a piece of her mind. Careful, Jan—there aren’t a lot of pieces left intact. Brewer accosted the President as he got off of Air Force One. I’m shocked. Mostly I’m shocked that a nut like Jan Brewer got past security. He should have patted her arm and said “That’s nice, Jan. I’ve got to get back to planet Earth. Have another Red Bull.”
And it looks like the rightwing is uniting around Newt Gingrich... no wait, they’re not uniting around him... they’re trying to surround him! Politico is reporting that the rightwing is acting in concert to try and derail Newt’s campaign before he blows everything. Well, it looks like Republicans have finally found a leader who can bring the party together.
Today’s Homework | Discuss